Wednesday 12 March 2014

Day four of the two-day wardrobe construction job


If you've missed the story so far (where have you been?), here, here and here.

I've noticed something about this constructing a simple wardrobe lark. You need a good spirit level. Or, to put it another, perhaps more accurate way, you need very good levels of spirits in the drinks cabinet. Everything looks straighter and more level after a few gins. 'A large gin please.' 'Tonic?' 'If there's room in the glass'. ;)

Jeeves, the cutest most loving dog in the world, pissed over my carpet/bed in the spare room yesterday so I was back on the floorboards. Mind you my back and shoulders were now beyond repair so it made little difference. I did have a feeling of nostalgia listening to she who must be obeyed squeeaking along in her bed as she slept. The sound traveling easily through the un-shutable door.

'Establish where the ceiling joists or beams are (they said on the internet) so that you can screw your frame into the ceiling and make it more solid.' Sound advice.

My only, slight, quibble with it is how, exactly, does one do that? When one has 150 years' of papered ceiling which all sounds either solid wood beam, or empty space? Well I climbed up into the loft of course, established that the beams ran at 90 degrees to the direction of the frame and that I would therefore have to use the joists to secure my frame.

Difficult, perhaps, to identify exactly where the joists were in relation to the bedroom and the emerging frame from in the loft. Were they near the Scalextric set, the model railway box, the stair guard, the pram, the skis, the world's largest collection of knackered lampshades, or the box containing bank statements from 1979?

But I'm not stupid. I took some small nails and my trusty hammer and knocked them discretely through the ceiling either side of the joists, thus identifying the location of the joists in the room below. Taps forehead. Smart huh?

The only thing is that the room below was in fact the office and not the bedroom (geography has never been my strongest suit, especially in the dark).

I've heard that before somewhere too.

Never again will I mock or sneer at flat-pack furniture. My flat-pack came on a truck without instructions, measurements or fixings. Without pre-drilled holes, without the right tools or screws or brackets. Without hinges or rawl plugs. It's the blind leading the deaf.

But despite my many failings, I have now just about completed the frame and it is solid as a rock. It would be easier to dismantle the house than the wardrobe!

Tomorrow the delights of trying to work out how plasterboard works. Wish me luck and stay tuned.

Some pics of the project so far:

 Where to start?
Wood and doors
 The 'L' shaped frame. sigh.
 Got there in the end
 You've been framed

And it's only taken five days so far. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment